To repair your credit and remove the accounts in dispute status quickly the following steps need to be taken:
Contact the Credit Bureaus:
- Equifax 800-846-5279 or 866-322-3162
- TransUnion 1-800-916-8800
- Experian 1-888-397-3742
- CSC 1-866-487-0264
- Obtain a credit report at www.annualcreditreport.com (you will need the report numbers for the next 2 steps)
Ask the bureaus to take the accounts out of dispute:
- The customer support rep that you are speaking with can tell you if the remark is reporting from them or the creditor. Tell them “THESE ACCOUNTS NEED TO BE TAKEN OUT OF DISPUTE”
- Find out a timeline for the accounts being taken out of dispute
- Obtain the credit report or dispute identification code to follow up on the process online
Periodically check your reports online to keep your credit repair on track:(This can be done every 2 or 3 days)
Accounts in dispute with the creditor:
- Some accounts may have been disputed directly with the creditor – they are required by law to update your credit report to show account in dispute. To remove this comment you will need to contact the creditor directly.
- Some creditors may press you to pay a balance on the account and it may be a step required to do if the creditor is unwilling to provide documentation.
- Press the creditor to get a letter faxed while you are on the phone with them that this account is no longer in dispute.
Issue’s and FAQS:
- The run around – if the credit bureaus tell you that they did not place the dispute comment on the credit report and they cannot remove it tell them you would like to initiate a dispute that the account is not in dispute. They control what is posted on your credit report and can remove the information.
- If the creditors tell you they do not have a letter for this simply tell them that you still need one because they are reporting inaccurate information on your report that needs to be deleted.
- You may also get them to update their online dispute system (E-OSCAR) with the bureaus to remove any comments.
- Documentation beats confrontation. Document every person that you talk to, and every conversation so that you can refer back at any time.
- Be persistent & don’t take no for an answer – if the person can’t give you the answer you want then ask for their manager and keep climbing until you get answers.
- BUT BE NICE. The nicer you are the further you will get and the more help people will be willing to provide you. Be nice as much as possible.
Once you see your report updated, it may take some time before the credit provider of your lender updates their report. To find out how soon this account will update with the lender you will need to contact their credit provider representative to find out when their reports update with the credit bureaus.